Sunday, December 19, 2010

The True Meaning of Christmas

As I look into these innocent, precious eyes I am reminded of why we celebrate Christmas. It is the celebration of the Christ child, that makes this holiday season so special and peaceful. Jesus is the reason for the season. We must all look at what we value the most during this time of year. There are only a few days until the big day, and we may be rushing around making sure we have decorations up, presents bought, food, gifts, etc and focus to much on the hustle and bustle we are bombarded with. Have we made room for our Lord, Jesus Christ. Is he present in your homes and in your heart.

Josh and I talked in sacrament last week and were given the topic- 
Christmas Traditions Centered on Christ. 
Here is a little from my talk:
As I think abour the short number of days left until Christmas, I feel the need to keep my own thoughts focused more on the Savior. I want to slow down a nd truly see and feel the true beauty of this time of year. I want to be part of bringing a little more peace into this world and teaching my children to focus more on others and Christ's birth.
I briefly retold the story of Christ's birth on the American continent.......... "they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down and worshiped him, and when they had opened their treasures, they presented  unto him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh."
President Thomas S. Monson quotes," time changes, years speed by, but Christmas continues sacred. In this marvelous dispensation of the fulness of times, our opportunity to give of ourselves are indeed limitless, but are also perishable. There are hearts to gladden. There are kind words to say. There are gifts to be given. There are deeds to be done. There are souls to be saved."
So how will you and I make sure this Christmas is focused on our Christ child?

A Prayer for December Poem

Dearest God,
Please never let me crowd my life
Full to the brim
So like the keeper of Bethlehems Inn
I find I have no room for Him.
Instead, let my hearts door,
Be ever open,
Ready to welcome the newborn King.
Let me offer the best I have to Him. 
 Who gives me everything.

It is never to late to introduce new traditions into your family. Throughout my life my parents have always tried their best to bring us closer to Christ and the true meaning of Christmas. Some have stuck and we do them every year. Some we have tried and have not done them a second time. But this is fun in trying new things. THings that have flopped have created memories for our family.
Think of a few traditions you do every year. Now think of ones that only center around Jesus. 

Traditions we do each year:
  • Scripture Bell Advent Calendar/ Bear Advent Calendar( activities to do as a family everyday)
  • Act out the Nativity, while someone reads from the Bible
  • Read the story " Teach the Children" the symboles of Christmas (eg. Santa: spirit og giving, Evergreen Trees: eternal life, Christmas Lights: Savior is the light of the world.)
  • Have someone over for Christmas
  • Visit the sick and needy
  • Attend a live nativity together
  • Baking and delivering plates of goodies to neighbors and friends
  • Caroling
  • Pick a less fortunate family to give a Christmas to (food, gifts, Christmas tree etc) 
When I was 8 years old, I learned the true meaning of CHristmas. My parents asked me to pick my favorite toy and to wrap it up as a present to give to someone who does not have much. I remember choosing my favorite barbie doll and crying when I had to depart with her. Yet as we entered the families apartment, we entered a place that had no furniture, barely any food and was just bare. It looked as though no one even lived there. We brought in the Christmas tree, gifts and boxes of food and watched as the family shed some tears of gratitude. It hit me hard- this is what Christmas is really about- Giving, not Receiving. I will be forever grateful for this humbling experience that has changed my attitude of Christmas. It was not about my Barbie anymore, it was about having the heart of service and feeling that love from your Savior. To show Jesus you love him, you serve. "For as you do it unto the least of my brothern, you have done it unto me."
The best tradition of all- doing kind deeds for others on a daily basis.

Traditions I want to start and teach:
  • The White Stocking: Family hang up a white stocking at the beginning of December. It is a reminder to do kind acts of service for the Savior. Encourage family members to place notes of appreciation, love and noticing good deeds of others. Read all of them on Christmas.Your gift to the Savior. Then write a goal for the following year that you will do for the Savior. At the Beginning of December the following year, read your gift to Jesus and see if you did it.
  • 12 Days of Christmas Nativity: For the 12 days of Christmas open up one gift a day that has a figure from the Nativity. Read the story  or scripture each night and keep on adding more verses until baby Jesus is born. On Christmas Eve unwrap Jesus, Jesus is born.
  • Jesus is Here!: Christmas morning all kids are peeking out of their doors wondering if they can come out yet. Tell them they can come out when the nativity piece of baby Jesus is sitting int he hallway. They focus more on "Jesus is Here!" , instead of did Santa come?
  • Family Service with Baby Jesus: Do a small kindness for Jesus by soing a service for someone inyour family, such as secretly making their bed and leaving a small figure of the Christ Child at the site of the service. That person then has to do a secret service to someone else in the family. Creating the Spirit of Service in the Home.
  • 12 days of Christmas Story Books: Unwrap a meaningful and uplifting book each day and read as a family together. 
David O. McKay said " Christmas is a fitting time to renew our desires and to strengthen our determination to do all that lies within our power to make real among men the message haeralded by the angles when the Savior was born. Let us glorify God by seeking the good, the true, and the beautiful. Let us strive to establish peace on earth by exercising that same good will towards one another which God has shown us."

I n conclusion, I believe a beautiful way to prepare to have a Christ centered celebration during this Christmas Season is to pick traditions that will allow us to become even closer to our brother ,Jesus. We need to express gratitude and contemplate the beautiful meaning, life and example of Him whose birth we celebrate. May we take time to give thanks and ponder the matchless gift He has giiven us, then watch for the miracles to follow. 
In the name of Jesus Christ AMEN.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Thanks for posting all these traditions. I try to add another tradition every year with my children and love to get new ideas. By the way, you have a beautiful family! From a stranger who stumbled across your blog

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say nice site.