Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It hurt......

My little sweetie was in the most pain I have ever seen him experience last night.
It hurt...... It hurt when I received a phone call at work and Allyse told me he had been struggling all day. It hurt that I could not be there holding him at that very second. It hurt as I drove home as fast as I could, wondering if he was alright. It hurt holding him in my arms knowing he wasn't acting his normal self.
It hurt having to look at his red little face, and his sad little facial expressions as he whimpered in pain.
It hurt reading his temperature at 101.6 degrees.
It hurt not knowing what to do to make him feel better.
It hurt taking him to Insta-care for the first time, not knowing what to expect.
It hurt him to let go of me and be weighed. (As I layed him on the weigh scale, he screamed with all his might and held onto my hair as hard as he could.)
It hurt him when they took his temperature by ear.
It hurt having to see my poor little innocent angel tested and prodded to find out that he had his first earache.
It hurt him when I gave him his antibiotic. He threw up 3 times all over himself in his car seat and had to sit in the gunk for ten minutes, until we got home.
It hurt him to not be in the arms of his momma or Nana. (Surprisingly the only time he ever wants to cuddle is when he is sick- so I savored these snuggles).
It hurt when his temperature kept going up, up , up ...... all the way to 103.6 degrees.
It hurt placing him in the tub, to cool him down, and seeing him ball his little eyes out.
It hurt him when we placed cool cloths all over his body in hopes to lower his temperature.
It hurt knowing that once a child reaches 104 degrees it is beyond dangerous.
It hurt James, Daddy, Nana and I just seeing seeing him sick.
Finally after many hours into the morning of taking his temperature every 10 minutes, placing cool clothes all over him, placing him in the cool bath a number of times, trying to get liquids down him, giving him Motrin and Tylenol as his fever and pain reducer , laying down and having him on my chest (and me in a damp t-shirt) and a cool cloth on his back, his temperature thankfully lowered to 96.8 degrees at 4 am.
All is well.
He slept until 7:30, went and layed with daddy, while mom slept for an hour after the exhausting, long night. Than he was back to his normal, happy, smiley, giggly, spazzy self.
I am so thankful for the power of the priesthood and that Josh was worthy to give James his first blessing (besides his baby blessing), I know that it is through the power of the priesthood that James received strength to fight his pain and sickness.
Now...... it hurts not to have him in my arms, snuggling close and wanting his momma.
Yet, I would take him HEALTHY like he is today over any sickness when he is in pain and HURTS.
We love you James and would do anything for you to keep you safe.

4 comments:

Weight Family said...

AW, ear infections are the worst!

T Daley said...

I hate it when my kids get sick! There is nothing worse; even now when they are older it still "HURTS". I am glad he is doing better. Tyler was reading this with me and wants to tell you she is sad she can't have you for 3rd grade. (She REALLY wanted to be in your class) She also wants to say that James is getting too big!

Lacey said...

oh poor little James! There is nothing worse than having your baby hurt and not being able to do anything about it! So glad that he is feeling better and that you guys made it through the first sickness...no fun!!

Briann said...

poor little guy! We miss you guys, i loved our walks and Leah misses sharing her books with her buddy James!