Friday, June 5, 2009

Personal Oil Painting- Hawaii

Almost a year ago, I received my first paying customer for a painting. I have always loved painting, but have never painted for money. So last summer a friend of my sister in laws heard that I painted and she got a hold of me and asked me if I could paint for her. She gave me a small card that had a picture on it, that read, "New Birth," and she explained the colors she wanted in it. I honestly thought it would just take a few months, but as time passed quickly I finally finished it this summer. I guess it takes a lot more time when you have a baby that needs you at anytime.
This was the process that I had to go throught to get the end product.
The lady who bought it, put this picture on her main wall because it is very symbolic to her. Her family used to live in Hawaii and she remembered hiking up to a waterfall that looked very close to this picture. She had just had a baby and she loved the dove in the right hand corner symbolizing heaven because while she was in Hawaii one of her friends had lost a child. There was great meaning behind the whole picture and the feelings that it brought out. She said that it resembled the Hawaiian people so well, along with the love and the peace which is felt in Hawaii.
The above picture portrays the actual colors, yet in the picture beneath the flash went off and left a glare.
I will admit that I was kind of nervous to give it to her. I had put in so many hours just trying to get it perfect. I was happy with the end product and I was so happy that she was overly excited and grateful for the way it turned out. She kept on saying "I love it, I love it. " She said it was perfect and better then she ever imagined it to be. For the last 5 years she has felt that there was always something missing in their dinning room area (the room attached to their front room). She said that she has envisioned it for so long and she just kept on going off on how much she liked it. I was so happy she liked it so much, that made me feel good and worth the time and effort I put into it.

5 comments:

McCandless Co. said...

Shans that is really awesome! I need a million pictures painted for my house, wish you were closer. Why didn't we ever do crafty stuff like that when we were roomies, that would have been so fun.

Emily said...

Wow! I didn't know you painted. That is beautiful. I can't paint or draw to save my life. I've always admired those who could.

Unknown said...

Yeah Shan you did so awesome on that painting, I am glad that you were finally able to get it to her and that she totally loved it!! You are amazing and thanks again for the oh so fun time together!! Love you tons--Stace

JethRobyn said...

I'm so glad it turned out well! I am so impressed with it, I almost wanted to keep it here :). Hopefully the frame worked out ok. I can't wait to see your next project!!

ginacrotts.jamberrynails.net said...

You are one talented girl! I've never done a painting that large before but would love to try. :)