Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cultural Experience

One of my 3rd grade students that I teach wanted us to come and see her dance at her temple. So Josh and I though we'd support her, so we went. We had a lot of fun and a total cultural experience. Their religion is Hinduism and it was at the Salem temple. They worship the Monte Krishna. They dressed James and I in the complete costumes and I even got to wear a whole bunch of different jewelry. It was fun getting all done up, thanks to my student mother.
I guess my student is a pretty big deal at this church and therefore danced for everyone there, I was surprised at how many BYU students were there. I guess for their first year of school they have to study this religion as a cultural diversity class or something. We had great Indian food, we learned how to dance with sticks and we asked a whole lot of different questions.
In there culture they think of their teachers as one of their mothers, because we give them knowledge. They treat me with very much respect and nobility. They spoil me all the time too. In the evening we all lite a little wax on a leaf , made a wish and released it into the water. The celebration was their Christmas, so we even had fireworks. James didn't know what to do during these, they were pretty loud and all he did was stare strait at them with big eyes.
My student parents own a motel, so they also put us up for the night. They are seriously the nicest family I have ever met. We hung out with them for only one night, and we already felt like family. They have the kindest, most giving hearts and they are always thinking about everyone else. We even had breakfast the next morning. Here's me posing with the dress on, jewels, and glam.And here is my little man all dressed to impress. My student actually bought this outfit for James with her own money. What a sweetheart. Thanks for a great night and a wonderful chance to experience and learn about another culture.

1 comment:

Emily said...

thet looks like sooo much fun :]