Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mikey my missionary

It has been quite a blessing to see my little brother go on a mission. Presently he is in the MTC and has been there for about 2 weeks now. Mike aka Elder Leavitt will be going to Roseville California on October 27th. Here he is pointing to his area of missionary service for the next 2 years. #3
About a half an hour before he got dropped off at the MTC, we went over to the Provo Temple(which is across the street) and took pictures. Mike kept on saying how weird it felt that he was going go soon. Yet he said he was so so ready.
He got there on a Wednesday and went through the new procedure of taking them through, what I call the cattle drive thru. Seriously, you drive into the MTC, follow all the MTC elders who guide you down the road, then on the right hand side there are a bunch of missionaries waiting with a number..... We drive and park for a moment while Elder Leavitt grabs his bags, is met by 2 other missionaries who help him out....., we say our good byes and he walks off for the next 2 years. It was a pretty tearful event. Elder Leavitt was totally fine and rearing to go, yet for mom and myself I started tearing up as he turned his back on us and walked away. Mom and I just looked at each other in tears and said, "He's ready and he is in the right place." THE NIGHT BEFORE THE MTC (Missionary Training Center) I was so lucky to have my bro come stay the night with us before the big drop off. Of course we went to Cafe Rio for the best Mexican salad ever, than went shopping for the rest of his missionary needs. It was so fun talking to him and just seeing how much he had grown and was ready to dedicate his time to the Lord. That evening, mom and I repacked everything with name labels and stuck little notes from us telling him how much we love him. We talked about spiritual things, reminisced his past...... read scriptures together, prayed together, had priesthood blessings given by Mike....... Told him how much we love him and are proud of him, talked about how he would be going to sleep early and waking up early, eating more food than desired and probably coming home a little heavier (like most). He sure didn't like that idea, so he packed away some exercise gear and did tons of push ups. Wow, he is a tough kid. I have never seen him in such great shape as I did then. He claims that he is going to look just as good when he gets back. Good luck saying no to the members who slave away and might get offended if you say no. Time will tell..... CANADIAN MISSION FAREWELL- ( a month before departure) My little family were honored to go see Mike give his farewell talk, despite the 12 hour drive. His Sunday talk was incredible. I was speechless and smitten by the strong spirit that he brought to the room. He spoke with much dedication and love and it sure touched many hearts. I never knew my little brother was such a great public speaker and had the testimony he shared. I was very impressed with his ability to stand before the people there and touch not only myself by many others. He will touch many more than just those that day, but that is why he was called to speak to the California people. He will do much good and he will touch not only their lives but all who are in his presence. I have never seen a bishop get up and feel so touched that he was in complete tears of thankfulness to Elder Leavitt. He has worked side by side with him and talked about the changed man that Mike has become and is. He even said that he has learned so much from him and is a better man because of my amazing little brother. After church everyone came over for the farewell dinner and gathering. We ate amazing food, mingled with family and friends and talked a whole lot. My sister Lindsey played a great song that she had written for Mike and we all sang, talked and laughed together. James had a blast, like he always does, as he got a ton of attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles and all the other relatives that came to congratulate my brother. There really isn't anything greater in life than being with family and basking in their successes and sharing special moments like this with the ones you truly love and feel blessed to have in your lives. I love my baby brother and have complete faith in him and his ability to serve with all his might, mind and strength. He will make a difference in the lives of those in California, and therefore those people with make a difference in others lives. It is never ending. He will touch lives that will touch others lives, that will touch lives forever and ever. Thus, the field is white all ready to harvest.
Go Bro, Make God Proud of You.
YOU CAN DO IT
ELDER LEAVITT!!!
We are behind you 100%

1 comment:

Linz said...

I really love this post. I haven't seen it til just now. You described Mike to the T! I'm so proud of him and his success already. I'm in love with your family lol I'll miss them lots between now and when he gets back, Mike is amazing, I'm so happy he is out there! What a handsome guy! Thanks for this post shann! Love ya! xoxoxo